Holiday Planning New Zealand
If you are too busy for detailed holiday planning New Zealand Campervan Holidays is making it easy for you with some ready-made itineraries
If you already have your itinerary planned and want to know more about things to see and do:
One Week North Island
One week North Island
- Day 1. Pick up vehicle in Auckland - explore the city. Visit the SkyTower or the museum where you can get great views while you sit in the domain having a picnic
- Day 2. Travel to the Coromandel Peninsula -plan to spend a night at one of the beautiful harbour towns such as Whitianga or Whangamata
- Day 3. Explore Coromandel's great beaches and visit one of the many art galleries hosting local artists. If you want, drive to Tauranga and spend time exploring Mount Maunganui
- Day 4. Drive to Rotorua. Take a drive up to the Blue and Green Lakes, Lake Tarawera and the Buried Terraces or visit one of the other many tourist attractions in this geothermal "hotspot". If you haven't experienced a Maori performance, make a point of doing so here
- Day 5. Travel to Napier via Taupo. Stop at the Huka Falls in Taupo and then stop and have a picnic on the shores of Lake Taupo where on a clear day you will be able to see the peaks of Mount Ruapehu and Mount Ngarahoe on the volcanic plateau,
- Day 6. Explore the art deco buildings in Napier before heading off to Wellington (if you have arranged drop-off there) or back to Auckland. If heading back to Auckland, you might want to spend this evening in Taupo or Hamilton
- Day 7. Explore the city (Wellington) before dropping your campervan back. In Wellington visit Te Papa, the national museum or take the cable car for spectacular views of the city and harbour. If you are returning your vehicle to Auckland, try and fit in a visit to Takapuna beach on the North Shore today
Hopefully this one week itinerary has made holiday planning New Zealand North Island stress free.
To view more detailed North Island trips, click here
One Week South Island
One week South Island
Holiday Planning New Zealand made easy:
- Day 1. Pick up vehicle in Christchurch - explore the city. Take a ride on the gondola, or have a trip around the city on a tram. The Antarctic Centre is also worth a visit
- Day 2. Head over the Lewis Pass to Westport. Travel through vineyards, then mountain passes to the wild west coast
- Day 3. Travel down the coast to Greymouth. This is one of the most spectacular coastal drives in New Zealand. Stop at Punakaiki to view the world-famous Pancake Rocks
- Day 4. Drive south via Hokitika and Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers over spectacular Haast Pass to Wanaka - this will take a day if you take time to stop and admire the scenery more closely on the way, so have somewhere in Wanaka booked to stay before you leave
- Day 5. Travel to Queenstown, the "adrenaline capital of the world" for adventure. If you prefer more leisurely activities, take a detour via Arrowtown and Lake Hawea or just browse the tourist shops in Queenstown
- Day 6. Drive north again, planning to stop at Lake Tekapo. If you have time, you may be able to take a drive up to Aoraki/Mount Cook, New Zealand's highest mountain. Once night falls walk from Lake Tekapo up to the Mount John Observatory to get an amazing view of the stars
- Day 7. Drive to Christchurch and return your vehicle
To view more detailed South Island trips, click here
Two Weeks Holiday Planning New Zealand
Two weeks - North to South
In two weeks, with holiday planning New Zealand can be visited from north to south (or vice versa).
- Day 1 and 2. Pick up your vehicle in Auckland. Spend the day exploring the city and preparing for your roadtrip adventure
- Day 3. Head south to Tauranga. Enjoy the beach and walk around Mount Maunganui
- Day 4. Head south to Taupo via Rotorua. Stop at the Green and Blue Lakes and walk around Kuirau Park in Rotorua city before heading to Taupo for a night on the lake
- Day 5. Enjoy lakeside activities or take a drive to Napier where you can spend the night if you prefer
- Day 6. Head south to Wellington. If driving from Taupo, you will drive the "desert road" across the volcanic plateau.
- Day 7. Cross Cook Strait on one of the InterIsland Ferries. Head to Nelson on SH6
- Day 8. Enjoy exploring Nelson and the surrounding areas. Visit Kaiteriteri beach at the edge of the Abel Tasman National Park
- Day 9. Drive south to Westport. In the the stunning upper Buller Gorge walk the longest swing bridge in NZ
- Day 10. Drive south to Hokitika. Stop at the Punakaiki Rocks en route. Also stock up in Greymouth as you pass by. Watch the sunset on Hokitika beach
- Day 11. Drive south over Haast Pass to Wanaka. Stop at either Franz Josef or Fox Glaciers on the way
- Day 12. Enjoy lakeside activities or drive to Queenstown, the adventure capital of NZ
- Day 13. Drive north to Lake Tekapo. You can drive into Aoraki/Mount Cook en route.
- Day 14. Drive to Christchurch and return your vehicle. Hopefully you will have a day before you fly out to enjoy the city sights
Three Weeks Holiday Planning New Zealand
Three weeks - North to South
- Day 1 and 2. Pick up vehicle in Auckland and explore the city and surrounds
- Day 3. Head to the Coromandel Peninsula. Plan to stay at one of the beautiful harbours such as Whangamata, Pauanui or Cook's Beach
- Day 4. Spend the day exploring the spectacular Coromandel. Visit Hahei and take a boat or kayak tour in the marine reserve. Take the ferry from Cook's Beach across to Whitianga for a meal
- Day 5. Head south to Tauranga. Enjoy climbing Mount Maunganui
- Day 6. Take a leisurely drive to Rotorua. Explore the beautiful surrounding lakes and geothermal parks
- Day 7. Head to Taupo for some lakeside activities. Visit the Huka falls
- Day 8. Take another short and leisurely drive to Napier. Explore the vineyards and wineries
- Day 9. Drive to Wellington. Explore the capital. Visit Te Papa and take the cable car for stunning views of the harbour
- Day 10. Take an early ferry across Cook's Strait to Picton. Take the Queen Charlotte Drive route to Havelock and then Blenheim
- Day 11. Drive south to Christchurch via Kaikoura - stop on the way to view the seals or take a whale watch tour
- Day 12. Drive across Arthur's Pass (SH73) to Greymouth
- Day 13. Drive north to Punakaiki to visit the Pancake Rocks. Return to Greymouth and stock up on groceries and fuel ready for tomorrow
- Day 14. Drive south to Fox Glacier. Take a helicopter tour of the glaciers with Mountain Helicopters
- Day 15. Drive to Wanaka and enjoy the mountains and lakeside. Try the huge maze just outside town
- Day 16. Drive to Queenstown. Have a leisurely tour of Queenstown and Arrowtown or alternatively, get an adrenaline rush with one of the many adventure tours in Queenstown
- Day 17. Another day in Queenstown - relaxing or recovering or maybe just getting more adventure!
- Day 18. Drive north to Lake Tekapo
- Day 19. Spend the day exploring the surrounding area - go up to Aoraki/Mount Cook or visit the Mount John observatory
- Day 20. Drive to Christchurch. Explore the city. Visit the Antarctic Centre or take a gondola ride
- Day 21. If you have time, go to Akaroa in the morning before returning your vehicle
Four Weeks Holiday Planning New Zealand
Four weeks - North to South
This is serious holiday planning New Zealand - at its best.
- Day 1 and 2. Pick up vehicle in Auckland and explore the city and surrounds
- Day 3. Head north to Whangarei via SH1. Stop at any of the amazing beaches on the way
- Day 4. Head north to Paihia, the gateway to the Bay of Islands
- Day 5. Head to Kaitaia. Stop for Fish and Chips at the famous Fish Shop in Mongonui on the way.
- Day 6. Head up to Cape Reinga. You might like to take a 4 wheel drive tour from Kaitaia, so you get to drive along 90 mile beach
- Day 7. Drive south via SH12 through the Waipoua Forest (where you can visit Tane Mahuta, the largest kauri tree in New Zealand) to Snell's Beach
- Day 8. Spend the day relaxing or take a boat trip to Kawau Island
- Day 9.Head south to the Coromandel Peninsula. Stay at Whangamata or Pauanui
- Day 10. Head south to Rotorua via Tauranga. Take in a Maori performance in Rotorua and visit Kuirau Park for a free view of bubbling geothermal mud pools
- Day 11. Explore Rotorua and the surrounding areas. Visit the beautiful Green and Blue lakes, the Buried village and Lake Tarawera
- Day 12. Head south to Napier via Lake Taupo. Stop in Taupo to visit the Huka Falls. Then in Napier, admire the art deco buildings
- Day 13. Spend a day exploring the Hawkes Bay vineyards and wineries. Take a wine bike tour so you can sample the wares!
- Day 14.Drive south to Wellington
- Day 15. Explore the capital. Visit Te Papa museum or take a free tour of the Parliamentary buildings
- Day 16 . Take an early ferry crossing across Cook Strait to Picton. Drive SH6 to Nelson
- Day 17. Enjoy Nelson and the surrounding areas. Drive to Kaiteriteri and take a boat tour in the stunning Abel Tasman National Park
- Day 18. Drive south to Westport. Enjoy the stunning native rain forest of the West Coast
- Day 19. Drive south to Franz Josef Glacier. Stop at the Punakaiki Pancake Rocks on the way and make sure you stock up on groceries and fuel in Greymouth as you pass through
- Day 20. Drive south over the spectacular Haast Pass to Wanaka. Enjoy the lake surrounded by the alps
- Day 21. Take a relaxing drive to Queenstown via Arrowtown. Enjoy Queenstown by taking a leisurely stroll through the town centre or if you need an adrenaline rush, sign up for one of the many thrilling experiences
- Day 22. Drive to Milford Sound. Take a boat ride and then head back to Te Anau or Manapouri to spend the night
- Day 23. Drive to Invercargill. Try Bluff oysters
- Day 24. Drive north via the Caitlins Forest Park and explore the rugged coastal beauty. Look out for the Purukanui Falls. Head to Balclutha or Dunedin depending on how time goes for you
- Day 25. Head north to Dunedin. Explore the city. Take a drive out on the Otago Peninsula to view the albatross colony
- Day 26. Head north to Christchurch. Explore the city
- Day 27. Head north to Kaikoura for the day (it's 2 1/2 hours each way) - view seals or take a whale-watching trip. Head back to Christchurch or stay the night in Kaikoura
- Day 28. If you have time visit Akaroa for the morning before returning your vehicle
So for all your holiday planning New Zealand Campervan Holidays has made it easy.
To view more detailed South Island destinations and routes, click here.
To view more detailed North Island destinations and routes, click here.
To share your best roadtrip adventure, click here.